This week it seemed like there were so many little announcements that I fell behind quickly. In fact some did not even make it being posted this week, and I will slip them in as the week continues. We did see the release of the Storm Raven Extensions by the now infamous (GW is sueing them) Chapterhouse Studios.We also saw everyones favorite book series by Dan Abnett get a new book up for pre-order, and some new finecast (inlcuding the remaining dark eldar court) get released by Games Workshop.

Presence of Faeit is a weekly editorial by myself. I generally report during the week what is going on, and today is my day to comment on what exactly it is that I am thinking of.



Necron Stock Being Cleared:
Everywhere I turn, I see postings about Necron models being sold at clearance prices. It seems the codex is no longer available, and the models are being gotten rid of quickly. Yes, everything appears to be prepping for a huge release.

Quite a few people are still declaring that it will be November, but I have a feeling it might just be an October release, even though I did hear through the grapevine that we are looking at a November 5th release date. Personally I think someone just threw down Nov. 5th because it is the traditional first weekend release date of the month. I do not think they had really heard anything, which was why it was not posted as a rumor here on the site.

Whatever the outcome, Necrons will be big. It should change what we see on the table top, once again altering the way armies are made. I enjoy this tremendously, as it keeps the game changing and moving.

Will everyone be playing necrons? Probably not, but you will start seeing those dusty metal warriors finally hitting the tables again in greater numbers. I am also sure, that anyone that was considering starting a necron army, will finally do so, even if a few of the naysayers wait for the first FAQ to hit a few months down the road.


Learned Something New:
Its not often I learn or think of something new for an old list, but as it always goes, playing and rehashing a lost game made me think of something I hadn't thought of before. Perhaps everyone knew but me, as can often happen, I missed this one for the last couple years.

Weaken Resolve:
The psykers reach out with their minds, evoking irrational terror in the minds of their foes.

This power is used during the pskyer battle squads shooting phase. Choose one unit within 36" and in line of sight of the Psyker battle squad. For the remainder of the turn, the enemy unit's leadership is reduced by the number of Sanctioned Psykers in the unit utilizing the power (to a minimum of 2).

That is a quote. First off, things I do know about this power that I often have to explain on the tabletop. It is not a shooting attack, so a chimera can literally move 12" and use this power. Second, it effects stubborn units as it lowers the effected units leadership to a new number, and is not a modifier to the dice roll. Third, against fearless and mech'd armies, the ability is pretty much pointless and in many games the ability does absolutely nothing.

So the new one, is that since weaken resolve is not a shooting attack and you do not target a unit, you simply choose; weaken resolve can be used against an enemy unit that is already locked in close combat. In fact, it can be used while the unit is locked in close combat, as the shooting phase is simply the time you are able to activate the psychic abiility.

I was pretty much floored, since I own a full three units of Psychic Battle Squads, and have been using these units for the last couple years. It just never dawned on me. Yea, I know some people will nerd rage about this, just like they do with the stubborn thing, but its still not as powerful as many other things out there, and its called following the rules.


Grey Knights Army:
My Grey Knight army is almost instantly big. In fact it rivals my Dark Eldar in size, and probably dwarf's them in points. I was calculating roughly of course how many points in armies I have, and it was something like 7k Imperial Guard, 5k in Dark Eldar, and now I am up to at least 6k in Grey Knights. Part of this does include models from my IG armies, since Chimeras etc can be used. I have most of the assassins, and quite a few Inquisitors, so that gave me a nice base to start with.

Regardless, my Grey Knights are only a week a or two away from being completely put together and will be ready for the tabletop. I'm pretty excited to get them on the table, so that I can start refining them to a sharp point.

As for my Dark Eldar, I am still slowly working on them, and I promised myself I would take my time with them. Back way to many years ago, I just threw paint on them to get my required tournament legal 3 colors. Even though by far I am not an excellent painter, I promised myself a complete customized non-rushed army.

My Grey Knights will be done rather quickly. Thanks to Mojjo who has been helping me with painting tips on getting these done. I expect the entire army will be painted by the end of the month.
 
Top
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...